Port Augusta West Cemetery
The Port Augusta West Cemetery opened in 1924 and is located on the Old Tarcoola Road. Most of the records for the Port Augusta West Cemetery were lost in the town hall fire in 1944.
Burials are still undertaken here. Reopens are an option at this cemetery, but plots are not available to be reserved at any of the Port Augusta Cemeteries. Council maintains the general area, while families are responsible for maintaining their relative's plot.
The Port Augusta West Cemetery consists of four sections:
- Roman Catholic
- Un-leased Protestant
- Cremated Remains
It is believed that in accordance with Muslim religious beliefs, burial plots in the Afghan/Muhammad section are facing in the direction of "Mecca", the birthplace of the prophet Muhammad.
"Old" Port Augusta West Cemetery
There is an "Old" Port Augusta West Cemetery located on Caroona Road which opened in 1880. Most of the records were lost in the town hall fire of 1944, and the only information available is from the few remaining headstones. This cemetery has been fenced off to the public due to the dangerous condition of the ground.
Old Tarcoola Road
Port Augusta West SA 5700