Surrendering animals in Port Augusta
Are you considering surrendering a pet?
Have you tried the following options for re-homing your pet?
- Can your pet be willingly adopted by family or friends?
- Have you advertised privately on social media sites?
- Did you contact an Animal Rescue Service e.g. RSPCA or Animal Welfare League?
If you have not been able to re-home your pet with the above steps, Port Augusta City Council has a final option for you to consider…
- Call Council to talk about surrendering your pet/animal.
- You will be provided with an Animal Surrender form to fill in which requires information about the animal being surrendered e.g. breed, sex and medical conditions.
- There is a $30 surrendering fee ($20 with Concession). If your surrendering case is considered a special circumstance, fees may be waivered.
- The form and fee must be provided to Council, and you will receive a receipt which you take with your animal to Red Gum Vet and Pet Boarding (an appointment will need to be made with them prior to visiting).
- The animal will then be unfortunately euthanised.
- Dog Owners
- Cat Owners
- New Dog and Cat Laws
- Dog Registration
- Animal Management Plan 2017-2021(1043 kb)
- Dog and Cat Reforms - What you need to know(87 kb)
- Fact Sheets Dog and Cat
New laws relating to dogs and cats are contained in the Dog and Cat Management Act 1995. Under the Act a controlling body known as the Dog and Cat Management Board has been set up. The main functions of the Board are to assist and liaise with local government, and to achieve a high standard of quality and consistency in the management of dogs and cats includes:
- Dog Registration
- Dog Complaints
- Lost Dogs
- Cat Identification
- Roaming Cats
For further information contact the Council Office, telephone (08) 8641 9100.
Prosser Street (PO Box 1704)
Port Augusta SA 5700
Phone: 08 8641 9164 (weekdays 7am-4.30pm)
After Hours: 08 8641 9100 (Emergencies only such as dog attacks)
PLEASE NOTE: Wandering dogs and cats at large after hours are not classed as an emergency and will not be picked up until officers are back on duty. The 'Lost and Found Port Augusta City Council' Facebook page allows people to share posts of lost and found dogs at any time to assist in getting them home safely.
For any accidents or injuries to animals please contact a vet.
If you are looking to adopt a dog or cat, you can visit one of the links below.
Jenny's Angels Dog Rescue (Local Rescue)
Whyalla Vet's Rehousing Website (Whyalla Vet)
SA RSPCA Shelters (Whyalla RSPCA)
Paws and Claws Adoption (SA Wide)
AWL Adoption Page (SA Wide)
For more information on impounded dogs, as well as updates on animal management in Port Augusta, check out our Facebook page: Lost and Found Animals - Port Augusta City Council.