The town of Stirling North was originally governed by the District Council of Quorn until around 1980 when it came under the governance of the Port Augusta Council. The first burial was undertaken in 1966 and it is understood the Quorn Council allowed the cemetery to be run by the "Stirling North Cemetery Trust" which was made up of members of the public of Port Augusta/Stirling North and a member of the Quorn Council. The "Stirling North Cemetery Trust" managed the cemetery until 1988 when it was taken over by the Port Augusta City Council.
"Old" Stirling North Cemetery
Not many details are available about this cemetery but it was gazetted as a cemetery reserve on 15th November 1877. Burial records were held by the Quorn Council, but many were lost in a fire in the Quorn Town Hall. The Port Augusta Council only hold a few records for this cemetery, and there is no burial plan showing position of graves. There are however some headstones still existing in this section.
Stirling North Garden Cemetery
The Stirling North Garden Cemetery is located on French Drive in Stirling North.
Plots and Niches are not available to be reserved at this cemetery. There are three sections of the Stirling North Cemetery:
This cemetery is kept uniformly with set headstones and bronze plaques which are ordered through Council.
The Stirling North Garden Cemetery is looked after by a full time contractor employed by Council. The contractor undertakes the digging of plots and maintains the lawns, roses, general maintenance and the installation of the bronze plaques.
Stirling North SA 5710